"I'm no model lady, a model's just an imitation of the real thing."-Mae West

Friday, August 13, 2010

Character Counts

  "Character is the foundation of a house, it is below the surface." This quote applies to both my personal life and my school life in a variety of ways. What this quote says is that character is the very thing holding us up. Without good character, just like a good foundation, we would not be able to function properly. 
   When building a house, neglecting to make a sturdy foundation has dire consequences. In order to have a stable home, you need to put an effort into its base. Just like that, I have to put time and effort into presenting a character worthy of praise. When I display qualities such as responsibility and respect for others I build myself up and am never let down. When I practice good character I strengthen my morals and mind. In the words of Austin Phelps, “The grand aim of man’s creation is the development of a grand character, and grand character is, by its very nature, the product of probationary discipline. Doing what is good, right, and proper as often as possible will help you discipline yourself to the maintenance of a good character." Some of the many aspects that help discipline and define a good character are respectfulness toward others, showing responsibility, caring for others, and showing citizenship. When I exhibit these qualities at school, I am rewarded. When I don't show good character, I am punished. At work, I am also noticed by managers and bosses when I show good character by being responsible, respectful, caring, and cooperative. Working to build my character will take me a long way. I will be able to get more connections with people, more job and college interviews, and more opportunities in every aspect of my life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment